Business Law and Construction Attorneys Bring Valuable Legal Solutions to Your Ohio Business
Ohio mechanic's lien lawyers make sure you get paid for the work you do
Since 1995, Meyers, Roman, Friedberg & Lewis has provided experienced, prompt and cost-effective legal services and representation to commercial construction subcontractors, suppliers and large and small businesses throughout Ohio and nationwide. Our main mission is to assist the construction industry in Ohio and to ensure that our clients get paid for the work they do and materials they provide.
We understand your construction business
Our Ohio construction lawyers truly understand your needs and concerns, from start-up to collection problems to growing your business. Our firm’s founder, Russell O’Rourke, grew up around the construction industry. Mr. O'Rourke’s father worked at a builders’ supply company for 50 years, and Mr. O'Rourke worked at the same company after college. Presently, Mr. O’Rourke and his legal team bring 30 years of combined experience providing comprehensive representation in the following areas:
- Construction law
- Mechanic's liens
- Business law and litigation
We are the smart choice for taking care of your legal interests
Meyers, Roman, Friedberg & Lewis successfully serves subcontractors, suppliers, family-based construction businesses and businesses of all sizes throughout Ohio and nationwide in the following ways:
- We tailor our services to meet your needs ? Our Ohio mechanic's lien lawyers get to know you and your business to help you achieve your legal goals. We use the most cost-effective tools available to get you paid promptly for services rendered.
- We solve your legal problems in ways that save you time and money ? We strive to effectively and efficiently resolve your legal problems. We try quicker and less costly options first, utilizing alternative dispute resolution (ADR) methods of mediation and arbitration. If possible, we provide same-day service. However, when litigation is necessary, an Ohio business lawyer from our firm will aggressively litigate your case.
- We wrote the book … literally ? Attorney O’Rourke demonstrates the depth and breadth of his knowledge of the construction industry in his book Ohio Mechanic’s and Materialmen's Liens (3rd edition), published by Thomson Reuters. Recently, he was asked to write the mechanic's lien section of a new construction law book for the American Bar Association. He stays up to date on legal trends through his work for the Subcontractors Legal Defense Fund.
- Educating our clients ? We provide information resources and webinars for our clients, including:
- An online guide, ConstructionCreditNews.com, for finding out if any liens or lawsuits have been filed against you
- Our law firm's portal, ConstructionNoticesDIY.com, to construction law news
- Attorney O’Rourke’s webinars, which you can sign up for here
- Subcontractors and suppliers should be paid for their work and their products. The trouble is that contractors are worried that if they don’t get paid that they will have to pay the subs and suppliers out of their own pocket. Contractors now protect themselves with “Pay-IF-Paid” clauses, meaning that if they don’t get paid, that they don’t have to pay you. Although courts don’t like these clauses, they are still enforceable in Ohio. In January 2013 Meyers, Roman, Friedberg & Lewis was selected to write an Amicus Curiae (Friend of the Court) Brief on behalf of American Subcontractors Association (National) and ASA of Ohio urging the Franklin County Court of Appeals to affirm the trial court decision in favor of a subcontractor, finding the contractor’s clause ambiguous enough that it could only be construed as a “Pay-WHEN-Paid”. Under Pay-WHEN-Paid clauses, the contractor has to pay the contractor WHEN they are paid, but if they aren’t paid, they still have to pay. The courts see it as only a “timing of payment” clause rather than a “contingent payment clause”. Click HERE to read the Brief for yourself.
Ohio construction lawyers protecting the interests of your construction business
If your business needs assistance in obtaining rightful payment or litigating a claim, call Meyers, Roman, Friedberg & Lewis at 216-503-4794 or contact us online to arrange a free initial consultation.