R. Russell O'Rourke
Ohio Lien & Contract Litigation Lawyer
Attorney Profile: Russell O’Rourke
Having worked at a large law firm in Cleveland, I learned much about the practice of law, including how large law firms handle and bill cases for clients. When I left, I founded the law firm of Meyers, Roman, Friedberg & Lewis in 1989 to serve the construction industry in a fair and practical manner, offering flat fee services where it is reasonable and flexible fee structures. We work diligently to put the right amount of work into your case, unlike many firms whose primary focus seems to be billing and over-lawyering of files, rather than service.
I established the Builders Exchange Mechanic’s Lien Service for the BX in Cleveland, offering moderately priced mechanic’s lien, bond claim and related services on a flat rate to Builders Exchange members since 1987 and have been the sole provider for the BX since.
The primary focus of my practice is representing construction subcontractors and suppliers in the areas of:
- Bid Protests
- Contract Drafting and Negotiation
- Change Orders
- Claims Avoidance
- Dispute Resolution
- Notices of Furnishing
- Mechanic’s Liens and Public Improvement Liens
- Bond Claims
I have been a regular speaker on construction law topics for numerous national and state construction trade organizations including: American Subcontractors Association; ASA of Ohio; ASA of Central Tennessee; Builders Exchange (Cleveland, East Central Ohio, Toledo and Cincinnati); International Builders Exchange Executives Association; National Association of Fire Equipment Distributors, North American Steel Construction Conference; American Arbitration Association; Ohio Arbitration and Mediation Center; Ohio State Bar Association, and am an Adjunct Professor of Law at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University. I am the author of the book Ohio Mechanics’ Liens and Materialmen’s Liens, Third Edition published by the Thomson/Reuters Publishing Company (the 4th Edition is expected Autumn 2011) and was an editor of the CLEVELAND STATE LAW REVIEW.
I hold many memberships and official posts in the legal and construction communities:
- American Subcontractors Association of Ohio: President (2007-08; 2010-2011); Legislative Committee, Chair (2011- ).
- ASA National in Washington, D.C. : Board Member (2000-2008; 2010- ); Subcontractors Legal Defense Fund, Chair (2002- ) (the SLDF funds Amicus Curiae Briefs nationally, including several in Ohio, on issues important to the construction industry); ASA National Attorneys Council, Chair (2007-2008).
- Builders Exchange Board Member (2010- ).
- Construction Employers Association, Legislative Committee (2007- ).
- American Bar Association, Construction Law Forum (1988- ); ABA Mechanic’s Lien Committee of the Real Estate Litigation Section Chair (2009- ).
- American Arbitration Association Construction Advisory Council (1991-1996); National Panel of Construction Arbitrators, the Blue Ribbon Panel of Mediators (1990-1996).
I am admitted to the practice of law in all Ohio (1984) and Florida (1986) state courts, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern (1984) and Southern (2007) Districts of Ohio and the U.S. Supreme Court (1992).
Contact the law firm of Meyers, Roman, Friedberg & Lewis online or call (216) 503-4794 to schedule your free initial consultation.